I am here no longer to be using utorrent. They are off my list.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
This is just plain stupid. Good-Bye uTorrent.

The BitTorrent protocol has long had it's voids filled with various torrent clients, such as the official BitTorrent, µTorrent, vuze, bitcomet, and many others. Now the world's most popular torrent client, uTorrent, is about to implement uTorrent 2.0, which is promised to destroy the reaction that causes ISP's to throttle or stop BitTorrent traffic, as so many currently do.

6rq6v6.jpg
We all know that the throttling and capping of bandwidth by rogue service providers to destroy BitTorrent traffic is not new, nor are we any longer surprised by the actions which they take to do so. ISP's are right in declaring that their networks simply cannot handle extreme BitTorrent protocol connections, but, that's simply no excuse to cap, limit, or derail a user's promised speed tier.

With network neutrality laws and regulations on file sharing appearing globally, µTorrent has decided to step up their game, and be the first to introduce a new method of the BitTorrent protocol. µTP, a new implementation by µTorrent, is able to become "network aware" by throttling itself, if the networks are seemingly over congested. Not only will this save billions to the ISP's by reducing extreme bandwidth usage, but will also decrease a users upload or download speed, to avoid congestion.

This is seemingly a means to appease the monopoly internet service providers, only to cut the guarantees that each customer is promised in speed. A sad day for the rights of the people on the internet, and a big win for the industry. The VP or Product Management told TorrentFreak earlier this week, "If µTP is successful it should result in a multi-billion dollar windfall in terms of savings for ISPs. The throttling that matters most is actually not so much the download but rather the upload – as bandwidth is normally much lower UP than DOWN, the up-link will almost always get congested before the down-link does."

Simon Morris, went on to state, “µTP measures the time a packet takes to get sent from peer A to peer B, so in theory µTP will detect congestion anywhere on that path, although in practice the congestion most often happens somewhere on the first-mile uplink connection.” TorrentFreak continued to appease the BitTorrent executive, stating that "It is hard to tell if uTP really is BitTorrent’s savior, but if it lives up to the expectations it will be beneficial to both users and ISPs. The specs for uTP will eventually be open so other clients will have the opportunity to implement it too. However, since µTorrent and the Mainline client together are used by two thirds of all BitTorrent users, the effects should be immediately noticeable to both those users and ISPs." Again, I'm quoting Ernesto, of TorrentFreak.

Sadly it seems TorrentFreak no longer speaks for the individuals, but rather the corporations that intend to profit most from file sharing. This further proves, that no only does TorrentFreak not understand the benefits of file sharing, but they do not realize the war against our freedoms which are being waged. Enough of my TorrentFreak bashing, I just wanted to state, that Ernesto, you, are a sell out.

The founder of the BitTorrent protocol himself, Bram Cohen, a living legend when it comes to file sharing, had stated that "ISP's should find a way to cope with BitTorrent." Not the other way around. As in any business or industry, if you don't evolve to keep up with the times, you become a fossil, and eventually, your industry is over run and controlled by new, fresh, and innovative businesses, willing to best suit the customers.

The same goes for all ISP's, instead of the constant bitching about BitTorrent, let's invest some of their record profits into upgrading the networks themselves, rather than just moaning. If the governments forced the ISP's into a submissive corner, making the create what I call "worldwide network neutrality", which unlike the network neutrality regulations, I call for all nations to provide the same capable lines from datacenters, nodes, and directly into neighborhoods, so the entire world can provide equal and superior speed to it's people.

Not only can we not benefit from the current environment, 30 year old datacenters, outdated lines in rural communities, and failing power grids, but users cannot even reach on average a 3mbps connection limit let alone the world of 100mbps and even 1gbps lines. How do they expect to handle the traffic when it's not going to decrease, it's only going to continue a steady climb uphill.

The BitTorrent community alone, although assumed to handle nearly two thirds of all internet traffic, is not the only forms of file sharing. You cap the BitTorrent protocol, they will only move on to direct downloads, File Transfer protocol (FTP), SSH, file storage engines, or some other creative technique. All they are doing, is attempting to make the users outsmart them yet again, and sorry to inform the oh-so desperate ISP's, but we will prevail. The people of this Earth, will never fall to their knees to support your totalitarianism or your enforcement of unjust methods.

I am a user of µTorrent, I have been for a long time, but I do not use beta's, or new builds, I stick by my trusted µTorrent Build 1.6, because as some of you may not know, all the newer releases, if you limit your upload speed, they can utterly shortfall your download speed. It's called the "anti-leech" code by insiders, and it does exist. Do not fret though µTorrent, if you do decide to implement such a major change, many of us, who stand up for the people and not the media agenda "prophets", will no longer use your product. It's true yes, it is your decision µTorrent, but if you want to decide to destroy your company, then by all means, go ahead.

I hereby announce my personal boycott of µTorrent 2.0, and hope others will follow. Any company that tries to say they are defined and develop their products for the peers, then comes out promoting an agenda such as this, are simply liars, saying whatever they can to stay on top. What always makes the behemoth industry giants fall though, is how much they decide to underestimate the people. Never bite the hand that feeds, as they say.

One thing I will point out, is that a better implementation of µTorrent would be a great thing, but the current planned implementation, is not the right direction to pursue. What they should in fact be doing, if they would like to "save the ISP's billions" and also "prevent congestion to the people", is developing and further researching "UDP" trackers, which can pinpoint peers to other peers within a swarm, which is closer to them. Something µTP does not do.

Currently, the way trackers run, you could be dipped into a swarm, that has users in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, The Middle East, or just about anywhere in the world, a random, undecided selection of peers. This could be prevented, by ideals which originally The Pirate Bay had discussed, placing users in a swarm, which would tell their location, and connect to users which are closer to them, not just at random. By doing so, you could extremely reduce "network congestion", and also, increase speed and reliability on torrents.

Sometimes the best answer is the one which goes completely ignored, but that's how the world turns. µTorrent, and the ISP's, are now working together, to benefit the corporations, and not the people. We must continue to fight the legislation that the behemoths are pushing on us, and we must continue to promote and further develop file sharing, because neither are going away, the companies will continue to fight for as much money as they can possibly earn, and the people of Earth, will never stop sharing files.

The internet is ours, and we must keep them from taking control. When it happens, do not say that xxxOBSCENExxx did not warn you it was coming. Instead of allowing our fates to be decided, let's get involved. Call your local government offices, tell them that net neutrality, regulations of bandwidth, and the crack downs on file sharers is not the way to go, if they want to keep their posts. Inform your family and friends about it, explain how it works, and whom really gains the most from file sharing, the people, especially those whom are less fortunate.

Each person that tells five family members, and makes one call to their representatives, is one voice stronger in our defense. After all, it's not what file sharing can do for you, it's what you can do for file sharing. It's about freedom, it's about rights, and it's about your children's future. Will they grow up with a free and open internet? Or will they be regulated upon which content they can see, and taxed upon usage? Not by the parents, but by the governing body. Do you want your kids growing up in a one voiced, one world government? I really doubt that, and it's time people realize what's going on.

In the road that µTorrent is heading in, will possibly cause it to be followed by other torrent clients, to decimate the mainstream. Write a letter to uTorrent, tell them that this is NOT the way to go. Contact Ludvieg Strigeus himself, via his personal email, ludde@utorrent.com, and tell him why he should not head in this direction. Once again and always, unlike the other blogs or news casts, I'm keeping you informed, with facts about the agendas and plots conspired against us. Unlike that other file sharing article service, ET Articles will never forget who we represent.

By:
xxxOBSCENExxx
November 1st, 2009
Got info from here -> µTorrent Introduces "µTP" Reforming BitTorrent - ExtraTorrent.com The World's Largest BitTorrent System

bittorrent is same as utorrent now, and i bet other torrent progs will follow suit.

So what program you using now then? will it or does it have ipfilter? ;)

As far as I have read it is mainly the upload speed which may get reduced which I could care less about.

According to Morris it’s mainly the upload speed that will be affected. “The throttling that matters most is actually not so much the download but rather the upload – as bandwidth is normally much lower UP than DOWN, the up-link will almost always get congested before the down-link does,” he explained.

Source

Yeah...... i've seen this on Gizmodo, too. what's your point?

Did you notice them saying that it's not the downstream connection that tends to get congested, but more the upstream? By the sound of it they're not focusing on capping download and upload bandwidth to some ridiculously low speed. They're going to try to have uTorrent automatically adjust the upload speed so that the lines don't get congested. I have a 15Mbit/2Mbit connection.... and i generally limit my upload bandwidth to 15k. I'm still able to hit 1.5MB/sec download speeds should there be enough seeds/peers to connect to. What they're talking about is how people will have say, the same connection speed as me, but will limit their upload speeds to like 5k or so. At that point, their download speeds are automatically capped by uTorrent (and possibly other clients... i dunno)... and it tends to be at a MUCH lower speed than they are capable of.

They are going to be limiting the upload speed. But the big picture is that the limiting of the uploads speed will automatically limit the downloads speed.

A) it's not even out yet as far as i'm aware, so there's no proof of that.

B) they want to reduce congestion, not eliminiate it.... so unless the system they have in place to gauge whether or not the connection is being congested by upstream traffic thinks it's becoming congested by a miniscule amount of upload bandwidth in comparison to your download bandwidth, download speeds will not be hindered so much. Like i said.... my connection has a 2Mbit upload stream.... which would translate into roughly a 244KB/s maximum throughput. If this new system thinks that even 15KB/s is too much and cuts it down even further than that, there's something wrong with it. That's probably the easiest way to tell how congested your upstream traffic is. have something uploading data in uTorrent, and gradually increase the upload limit while browsing the internet. You'll notice that the higher you go, the longer it takes for webpages to load. Like they say... download isn't everything.

I rarely ever really see any slowdown in my browsing ability, even when uploading at 15KB/s, and downloading at or near my max. uTorrent doesn't really ever seem to take full control of bandwidth... and often times browsing the web will decrease the download rate of uTorrent ever so slightly, until the page loads. upload rates, however, seem a bit more difficult to control. Guess you could maybe say that it's easier for uTorrent to determine if an application on the computer is attempting to use the downstream bandwidth than it is to determine whether or not upstream bandwidth is required by an application.

B) I know all about that ..

We will have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the educational information, anyway, Johnny. For now I'll continue to semi-blindly update all my apps to the latest version until I actually see a behavior I regret. :D

mm.. i think u can disable utp anyway, right?

Does not sound all that bad to me anyway as it is aimed at people on your LAN not the WAN from what I read:
uTP is an alternative communication method for BitTorrent traffic that allows the client to automatically regulate its bandwidth usage to avoid adversely impacting your internet connection. This will allow you or other users on the network to download their torrents but still allow others on the network to function with little difference. This does not require any additional setup.
In addition, uTP in this version has added its own form of STUN, a method of getting incoming connections without direct connectivity to the Internet. This allows µTorrent to punch holes through routers and firewalls to increase connectivity and improve speeds. It is even possible to connect two firewalled peers through uTP's NAT traversal feature.

The transfer cap settings were added in response to various users who have ISP-mandated caps on how much data they can download/upload in a month. Now you can track your usage in MB (with a handy graph to visualize it) and even configure µTorrent to stop torrenting once the limits are exceeded. Currently, you can configure the time interval, the data cap and whether it should stop based on only download, upload, or both combined.
As a privacy notice, this traffic data is not sent back to us or anyone.

I looked and I guess you can disable it ..

utorrent-2.0-beta.jpg

They name it transfer cap here. ?

I believe µTP started in 1.8.x, it's just disabled while they work on it, while it will be turned on by default in 2.0 is all. From the sounds of it it works something like Vegas, and adjusts upload (and in some cases downloads) based on dropped/late packets. Oh, and you can disable it.

For all the reasons to hate µTorrent this is a silly one. :)

Well, as long as I can disable it; I will continue to use it :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back